work

Heartbreaking: Dog Electrocuted

A heartbreaking story out of Northwest D.C., a woman says her dog was electrocuted outside her apartment complex, and it never should have happened. “I’ve lost my best friend, and I’m so incredibly lonely right now,” says Pam Kelly. “She’s such a sweet girl, she was an amazing dog, an absolutely gorgeous dog.”

Kelly was out walking her 8-year-old rescue dog, Lakai, on Monday night when she says he was electrocuted. It happened in the courtyard behind her apartment complex, 3003 Van Ness Apartments.

“I didn’t know what was going on,” says Kelly. “I thought my dog had broken her leg so I didn’t move her. If I had just picked her up and moved her from the area she might still be alive. But she’s not.”

Where the shock came from still isn’t clear, but Kelly says it’s a case of “stray voltage.”

“My son got shocked as well, a gentleman that was pulling my son off of my dog got shocked as well,” says Kelly.

The response that night, she says, was also upsetting. “The leasing gentleman here told my son to (expletive) off. I’m not on duty. I’m not on the clock.”

What’s more upsetting, she says management at the complex knew about the issue and did nothing.

“They have several emails from the tenants for the last year or more of their dogs being shocked,” says Kelly.

Several dog owners confirmed that with me, saying it happened to them months ago.

But who’s to blame? Pepco responded to the incident on Monday and this is what they said: “As far as we know it’s not a Pepco issue. There are no Pepco lines back there, you have to check with building maintenance.”

“I do have an email from the Equity Apartments that they said they did have an electrician come out and they found a wire under the concrete,” says Kelly.

I reached reached out to Equity Management but have yet to get a response. The manager, Avis Duvall, did send a notice out to residents via email.

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Avis Duvall
Date: Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 5:41 PM
Subject: Community Update!!!
To:

To All Residents of 3003 Van Ness:

As many of you may know, an incident involving a resident’s beloved pet occurred yesterday in the courtyard of the community. We would like to extend our condolences to the resident whose dog passed away. We regret that this incident occurred, which was tied to a very unusual electrical issue. Note that there was not an exposed wire. Rather, a licensed electrician identified a wire inside the concrete that was the issue.

Since learning of this unusual incident, we have removed the power supply to the area. While we work with our electrician to correct the underlying issue, please refrain from walking through the cordoned off area. Thank you for your concerns.

Sincerely,

Avis DuVall
General Manager

3003 Van Ness
(202) 244-3100
my.equityapartments.com


Kelly says, that’s not good enough. “The only thing I can do is to make sure that everybody knows what’s going on. I don’t want to live here anymore. I don’t want to look at these people anymore,” she says.

Kelly won’t say for sure if she plans on pursuing legal action against the apartment complex, but she did say she’s not going to let this happen to anyone else. “Maybe what I can do is put all my efforts into trying to make sure this doesn’t happen again. I’m not going to let my dog die in vain.”

Kelly is Lakai to have a necropsy Wednesday.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s