I have a love/hate relationship with my skin. I love my freckles and am proud to show them off, but my acne and dark spots make it difficult to go au natural. My skin care routine is an ever-changing one, but I get asked a lot about what I enjoy using.
So when my friend and former colleague Nicole Pence asked if I would be a Skin Babe feature on her blog – I decided to document it all.
But as a self-professing skin care junkie, I’m always open to learning about new products. So if you have any suggestions – especially for dark spots – I’m all ears!
I like to think of skin care like going to the gym – I work out to take care of my body, so why not have self-care days to do the same for my skin?
#SkinBabe Nikki Burdine shares her favorite products with us (LOOK AT THEM ALL!) and reminds us to make skincare a daily priority. Nikki takes a bubble bath nearly every night to recharge and relax. Nikki’s favorite #SkinBabe is the Duchess of Sussex because she embraces her skin, her freckles and the features that are uniquely HER! Such a great reminder, Nikki -and, for all of us #SkinBabes!
WHAT DOES #SKINBABE MEAN TO YOU?
#SkinBabe means self-care and self-confidence. I’m a firm believer in pampering myself whenever I can with mini at-home spa sessions or bubble baths. In turn, when I take care of myself and my skin, I feel more confident!
WHY DO YOU LIKE SKINCARE, #SKINBABE?
I just enjoy taking care of myself and pampering myself! I wish I could go to the spa every week, but since that’s not possible I like to think of my routines as my mini-spa sessions! I also think of skincare like going to the gym – you take care of your body, why not do the same for my face?
WHAT’S YOUR BIGGEST MUST DO FOR YOUR SKIN, #SKINBABE?
Moisturize! Even if I don’t do my entire routine because I’m tired or lazy, at the very least I put on moisturizer.
WHAT’S YOUR CURRENT FACE ROUTINE, #SKINBABE?
I wake up at 2:40AM and roll out of bed (literally one eye open). I have to be at work by 3 so my routine has to be quick!
- Cleanse: Kate Somerville Exfoli-kate.
- Moisturize: I love IT Cosmetics Secret Sauce! If I run out of that, I use Hope in a Jar. I also just got a sample of Glow Recipe’s Watermelon Pink Juice – it’s really light and smells like summer!
- Sunscreen: Elta Sunscreen.
- Eye Cream: Right now, I love OleHenriksen Banana Bright eye cream. It smells wonderful and is really thick and creamy.
- Foundation: I am obsessed with Sunday Riley’s The Influencer. Finally, if my skin is dry, I’ll spray a little Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist on top. Then I sprint out the door to work.
I take a bubble bath almost every night! I either use a mask or do a little microdermabrasion – I love the Dr. Brandt age defying scrub!
- Evening Mask: My favorite go-to mask is by Charlotte Tilbury, it’s called “Goddess Skin” mask. I also love GlamGlow’s glitter mask, because duh, glitter. The OleHenriksen Power Bright 3-step mask is another good one that makes my skin brighter. The sheet masks from Sephora are also great – the brightening one really works. I can tell a difference even the next day.
- Face Oil: I start with Sunday Riley’s Luna Sleeping Night Oil. It has saved my skin! I am acne-prone so this stuff really helps. Then I put my moisturizer on top, then the eye cream. Lately, I’ve also been mixing squalane oil…it’s anti-aging and super moisturizing. Just make sure if you use Squalane oil – you’re using the kind that comes from plants – not sharks!
- Zit Cream: Lastly – if I have a zit – which I usually do… I use the Peace Out Acne Healing Dots (Sephora!). I SWEAR by these! They really do help reduce the size and redness of my cystic acne.
- Body Lotions: I lather up in body butter and use a lavender-infused lotion to help me sleep. I love Lush Cosmetics ‘Deep Sleep.’ Bed time is 6:30pm – so I need all the help I can get to get those Z’s!
WHAT SKINCARE PROCEDURES OR INJECTABLES DO YOU USE, #SKINBABE?
I just got botox for the first time! I am 35, so I was honestly probably the last of my friends to do it, but I now get the hype! I am a big fan of moderation with botox, though.
The only other ‘procedure’ I’ve had done is a hydro-facial, and that was absolutely incredible. My skin was glowing after – I didn’t need to wear makeup for 2 days!
WHO’S YOUR FAVORITE #SKINBABE?
My favorite #SkinBabe changes with my mood (hello, Gemini!) but I really love the Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle’s approach. She has freckles – like me – and olive skin, so I love that she opts for the more natural look! She doesn’t hide her freckles either, which I used to always do. Now, I embrace them! Also, my mom. She’s in her 60’s and looks 20 years younger for sure. She always preached skincare to me, and I think that’s why I stuck with it my entire life.
WHAT’S THE BEST ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE TO WOMEN WHEN IT COMES TO SKINCARE AND CONFIDENCE, #SKINBABE?
I’m an undercover lazy girl, so simplicity is key. But I have also noticed that I get addicted to my skincare routine! My advice for skincare is to keep it simple and choose products that work on the things you want to focus on the most. I love reading what celebrities do, too. You know they have it figured out!